Friday, February 4, 2011
Music is often influential to mood/tone and many authors take advantage of music while they are writing. Some have a playlist for each book they're working on because each song represents a scene or a character. Others use certain pieces to give them a sense of calm and to block out unwanted noise during writing sessions. Do you ever use music with your writing? If you do, in what way do you use it?
If you have never used music to guide you through writing before I want you to try something this weekend...
1. Find four songs you love that reside in similar (if not the same) genres.
2. Put them on back to back and just free-write until the songs have all played.
3. Go do something else without looking at what you wrote, save it.
** Then, after you do other household things or wait until the next day...
4. Find four songs you hate or are in a genre you dislike.
5. Free-write until they are over.
6. Compare your two pieces of writing.
Do you see any differences? Let me know!
Photo copyright: Peter Witham